Thursday, December 18, 2014

CoCo Bean Update - The Rollercoaster

Sorry for taking a bit to update. Between the holidays, the businesses, and the baby Bean - it's been a busy time. We are just entering the 6 week mark of CoCo being sick - or somewhere close to that. I am not sure where we left off. Possibly that CoCo was having seizure like spells.

The 'spells' as I call them, were originally diagnosed as a type of Vertigo. As the days have gone on, seizures have also developed. CoCo was having about one per week. If that. Last week - during the first part of the week I was the most hopeful I had been. She was happier, more energetic, WELL - if you will. I was so happy, I knew we were on the right meds and on track for recovery.

Then Thursday night happened. CoCo had been on her first walk in a month. She as so happy and so energetic and she just wanted to go and go. She was tired and ready for bed and so we went early. She likes to be in the bed by 7:30 or so and she expects me there, too. Anything she wants.

Woke up about 2:30am - she was waking me up... she had a seizure right then. I stayed up with her the rest of the night and she seemed to rest peacefully. The next morning I just knew something wasn't right. She didn't want to walk or stand. She did eat, from laying in her bed, and she pottied, but something just wasn't right. After I spoke with her specialist Vet, we decided to start her on seizure meds right away. A friend came to watch her while I went to the pharmacy. When I returned, she had a seizure. I gave her the new meds but she still didn't seem quite as she had been. She didn't want to cuddle, or be touched. NOT LIKE HER.

I stayed with her, right by her side. She had a seizure about 7pm. I gave her more seizure meds. I decided to stay on the couch to make sure we were more covered in case of a fall. By 7am she had about 5 more seizures. To the point by early morn they were coming as soon as they ended. I gave her seizure meds after almost every one. I called my Mom about 1am and told her I thought it was time to have to say good-bye and in that moment, I honestly thought it was. My Vet returned my call at 2am and we texted through the night. She met me at the clinic at 8am. She decided to keep her, sedate her deeply and let her stay with her for the rest of the weekend AT HER HOME so she could watch her more closely. She called this a 'brain reset' - and it worked.

By Sunday, CoCo was better than I have seen since she got sick. Santa brought her a new stroller since she wants to be outside, so she could get around better. We strolled a long way and she loved the sun. She even walked some and had a ball. The worst was behind us. She was going to get better. All this week she has gotten better and better.

Last night, she collapsed as I was giving her her seizure meds. I believe it was vertigo. She did the same for her lunch meds this afternoon. She might just be in a super deep sleep of sorts. I just haven't figured that part out, yet. This afternoon she has been herself. Having fun, playing and wanting to eat. ALL THE TIME.

It's a major roller coaster. Truly the meaning of one day at a time. This really is living in the moment. There is no option of otherwise. Today is a good day. Today is a good day.

Thank you to all my friends, CoCo's fans, and Mom's friends and fans for all the well wishes and comments. I have read everyone. I know I need to respond to many of you, but thank you all. I will try to answer them as I can. Bare with us :)

I have to say again - CoCo is not in pain, she is not suffering, and she is not aware she is sick. We are doing everything we can to keep it that way.

For daily updates, please follow her on Facebook at

CoCo Bean and Jen

Our AWESOME Sunday stroll.

1 comment:

Barb Kampbell said...

Hugs and kisses to you, CoCo Bean. I hope you continue to get better and better.